Hitting woods on the fairway…
This week I’m going to talk to you about hitting woods off tight lies on the fairway. In the summer at Hunley, our fairways are firm and fast with quite short grass on them. This has a number of benefits including more roll off the tee and it helps with cleaner strikes with your wedges when hit correctly. However, it does make hitting your 3 wood off the floor a little trickier.
The easiest way to play this shot in my opinion is to hit a fade. This shot occurs by cutting across the ball, hitting it into the air and curving it to the right.
To play this shot you will need to do the following:
- Grip down the club an inch or two more than normal
- Stand closer to the ball
- This will encourage a steeper downswing needed for solid contact
- It will also help with the out to in swing path required to hit a fade
- Aim to the left, as the ball is hopefully going to curve right
- Finally, swing low and left through impact
- This will help hitting a solid shot, and the fade will help keep the ball in play
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Have a great week 🙂